First Baptist Church Lafayette is looking for Music Ministry Interns to assist us in promoting a deeply spiritual and engaging worship atmosphere during our services. This position is open to current students enrolled at the Ivy Tech and Purdue University campuses in West Lafayette.
Read below to learn more about this exciting position and apply!
Deadline to apply is Wednesday, August 26 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Fall 2020 Music Ministry Internship
Job Description & Contract
Position: Fall 2020 Music Ministry Intern
Reports To: Senior Pastor, assisted by the Director of Music Ministry & Worship Ministry Deacon
- Exhibit strong singing ability.
- Be interested in using one’s musical gifts in the context of the worshipping faith community
- Have an attitude of cooperation, be a team player, value consistency, and have an openness of spirit.
- Be a student at Purdue University or Ivy Tech Community College for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Complete the application process (complete online application & audition)
- Participate as a member of the music ministry team, collaborating with the Director of Music Ministry, the organist/pianist, and other musicians.
Expectations: 4 hours per week
- Lead in Sunday morning worship services by singing or playing an instrument during worship. This will be customized to your giftings, and could include singing in a quartet or playing instruments.
- When rehearsals or pre-recording musical segments are deemed necessary, attend them in coordination with the Director of Music Ministry. (1 hour)
- Attend Sunday morning warm-ups and rehearsal beginning at 9 a.m., and stay throughout Sunday worship. (9 a.m. to 11 a.m., 2 hours)
- Collaborate with the senior pastor to select one of the following options: (1 hour)
- Provide leadership to children’s music & Sunday School on Zoom
- Participate in the weekly young adult Bible study held on Zoom
- Attend additional called rehearsals as needed, in collaboration with the Director of Music Ministry.
- Participate in special seasonal worship services (Advent Cantata, Maundy Thursday service, Lenten Cantata).
- Attend church-wide fellowship events and be part of the overall life of the congregation.
- Attend any Worship Team Meetings called by Worship Chair Sylvia Mohler, as schedule allows.
Scholarship: $1000.00 for the semester. This will be paid directly to Purdue University or Ivy Tech Community College on behalf of the intern.
Duration: August 30 – December 6, 2020
A total of three Sunday absences (per semester) will be allowable, provided that notification of these absences is given to the Director of Music Ministry two days in advance. Absence due to unforeseen illness is allowable, provided that notification is given the day of the absence prior to worship/rehearsal beginning. All music ministry interns will be expected to follow all protocols in place at First Baptist Church to prevent the transmission of COVID-19.
FAQs about the Music Ministry Internship
Do I have to be a Baptist to apply?
No. Nor do you have to be Christian. However, since you will be leading in our Christian worship services, that will be the tone and topic of the music that you will find yourself singing, as well as the perspective of what you will be experiencing throughout the service. If you would feel comfortable participating, then we would welcome you wholeheartedly (and no, we will not be pressuring you to conform to our beliefs).
How many interns will you be hiring?
We would like to offer 4 students the opportunity to serve as interns, ideally one student in each voice part (1 soprano, 1 alto, 1 tenor and 1 bass). However, we reserve the right to select a different configuration based on the total number of applicants and their respective singing parts.
What will the audition be like? And when?
If selected, we will contact you the following day to set up a Zoom-based interview and audition. For the audition segment, please be prepared to showcase your musical abilities, whether that’s by singing or playing an instrument.
Do I have to provide my own transportation?
What made you decide to offer this opportunity?
Great question! There are many reasons that factored into this decision:
- Our congregation has a long history of loving music and the arts, and we have a deep list of accomplished musicians who have been an integral part of the DNA of this congregation over its 183-year history.
- One of our deeply-held beliefs as Baptists is that each person has gifts that they can contribute to the community at large, and this is a unique way to extend an opportunity to young adult singers to do just that.
- We believe that God is calling us here at First Baptist Church to be more present in our community, including young adults, and this is a new way to merge all of these different pieces of our story.
- Our choir would also greatly benefit from adding 4 strong, young voices, and we also want to provide a little money to students who find themselves in Lafayette for school.
What if I have more questions?
You can email Pastor Lisa Hood at email@example.com.